LIVE TRAFFIC FEED

Share South East Hip Hop Magazine

Gunplay

The Empire

The Empire
((Click Banner To Visit The Site))

Art Of Life Unlimited

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Just Another Day: Dear Officer, Don't Shoot Me

Just Another Day...."Dear Officer, Don't Shoot Me"

by Renee Batson (Miss Afrosoul)


Just Another Day


          Normally I write these blogs about music and my experiences as a radio host. Today, what I write about, has nothing to do with either of those.  Last night I spent 5 hours watching what has been transpiring in Ferguson. I have to say what I viewed not only angered me but it also brought me great sadness.  Being a product of racism throughout my childhood, youth, and adulthood has made me look at things with my eyes fully open and these injustices my people still endure are beyond comprehension.

          I knew, after hearing and seeing the events unfold with several cases over the last few years, that this situation would soon cause people to stand up and take notice. The problem is that the ones in power positions stand by and watch without attempting to remedy this situation and many other situations when black men, women, and children are being killed by those who are suppose to SERVE AND PROTECT.

         The other night a friend of mine commented on a post that was on my FB in which people are seen among a cloud of tear gas.  He asked me if what he had viewed was from Iraq or Afghanistan.  I told him "No, that is going on in AMERICA"! Shocked by my response he asked me "Why are they riding in tanks, "Why are they shooting tear gas into the groups of people that are protesting", and "Why are they firing at our people", all questions that confused me as well.

          This event made me remember a dream I had over 10 years ago in which there were tanks patrolling the streets with machine guns on top.  From what I see some believe we are the enemy and will gt rid of us at ANY cost. This has been going on for hundreds of years and will continue if we don't protest and boycott in effort to get our voices heard.  Unfortunately Mike Brown, as well as many others, had to be sacrificed in order for us to wake up!
We should be angry and we should be protesting everyday till justice is served....
Through all of this Martin Luther Kings speech has been ringing in my head....But will we ever be FREE AT LAST? 

          Today I'm no longer hopeful.  Seeing a lifeless young black male again laying in our community has made me cynical when it comes to hope.  Prayers go out to the family of Mike Brown and all those who have lost their lives because of others lack of respect for human life...In the bigger picture we aren't just black, we are HUMAN! 

Remember, with all this we need to come together in order to make a change!! Raise your voices and put up your hands.  On September 8th of this year boycott all retail outlets that are not black owned. Maybe then, and only then, they will pay attention.  We have more power then we realize we have!  HANDS UP DON'T SHOOT!!!

Michael Brown 18, Ferguson MO death 8/9/14, 
Eric Garner 43, NYC, 7/17/14, 
Kimani Gray 17, NYC 3/9\2013, 
Kendrec Mcdade 19, Pasadena, CA 3/2012, 
Timothy Russel, Cleveland,OH 12/2012,. 
Ervin Jefferson 18, 3/24/12, Amadou Dialo NYC, 1999, 
Patrick Dorismond 26, 2000, 
Ousmane Zongo 43, NYC, 2003, 
Timothy Stanbury Jr. 19, BK, NY 2004, 
Sean bell, 23, Queens, NY 2006, 
Orlando Barlow 28, Las Vegas 2003. 
GET THE MESSAGE? It's not just about race, it's about injustice and it must stop!
Photo: Michael Brown 18, Ferguson MO death 8/9/14, Eric Garner 43, NYC, 7/17/14, Kimani Gray 17, NYC 3/9\2013, Kendrec Mcdade 19, Pasadena, CA 3/2012, Timothy Russel, Cleveland,OH 12/2012,. Ervin Jefferson 18, 3/24/12, Amadou Dialo NYC, 1999, Patrick Dorismond 26, 2000, Ousmane Zongo 43, NYC, 2003, Timothy Stanbury Jr. 19, BK, NY 2004, Sean bell, 23, Queens, NY 2006, Orlando Barlow 28, Las Vegas 2003. GET THE MESSAGE? It's not just about race, it's about injustice and it must stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment