LIVE TRAFFIC FEED

Share South East Hip Hop Magazine

Gunplay

The Empire

The Empire
((Click Banner To Visit The Site))

Art Of Life Unlimited

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Artist Spotlight: Ghost Dog

   


This Southeast Hip Hop artist spotlight is on rising hip hop recording artist GHOST DOG.



        Ghost Dog Bio


Ghost Dog:  the vengeful spirit of hip-hop.  Not content to let the
art form die out in a commercial fizzle; this NC-based lyricist
seamlessly combines razor-sharp wordplay, wickedly-clever concepts,
and a limitless spectrum of moods and subject matter into an
intelligent and truly unique package.

"I chose Ghost Dog because the essence of the character from the movie
fits me nicely, and the Hagakure (which the movie was based on) helped
to bring about a major transition in my life.  I live and die by a
certain code, and betray it for nothing.  I have always been drawn to
martial arts, Eastern philosophy, and Bushido; and this is often
reflected in my music.  In fact, when I am not working on music, I'm
usually either teaching or training in Kantan Wushu (a system
comprised of Ch'uan Fa, Tae Kyon, and Jujutsu); of which I've been a
student for the last 15 years.  My influences include (but are not
limited to):  life experiences, personal reflections, martial arts,
current events, anime, video games, movies, chess, dreams, 9 to 5
life, battles fought (physically and mentally), and my various
encounters with people from all over the world."

"I've played live in Raleigh, NC at Berkeley Café (with Doodlebug of
Digable Planets as well as Tanya Morgan), The Lincoln Theater (with
Median), The Brewery, The Metro Cafe, Raleigh Music Hall (with
Supastition), Katmandu, King's Barcade, The Hi-5, The Red Room, Ruckus
Pizza, and NC State Campus.  I've performed in Greensboro, NC at 103.1
WUAG and wrecked numerous freestyle cyphas; & am a co-founder of the
NC State Cypher (Cypher UniverCity) that has been a staple of NC
hip-hop for the last 7 years.

“In Chapel Hill, NC, I've rocked Mansion 462 with Kenn Starr and Kev
Brown; and also performed at The Blend.  In Wilmington, NC, I’ve
performed numerous times at The Whiskey & The Soapbox.  I’ve rocked
parties, shows, and weddings in Taipei, Taiwan and Negril, Jamaica.
I’ve had the honor of performing in the presence of Talib Kweli, who
sought me out after my set to tell me my music was an inspiration; &
also of opening for Cappadonna from the world-renowned Wu-Tang Clan,
who actually stopped mid-set to show appreciation & respect for what I
do.  I’ve been successfully touring with Cesar Comanche, founding
member of Justus League & member of the Black Jedi Zulu Chapter, for
the last 4 years under the Building Bridges Tour banner; performing in
front of packed crowds across NC, VA, FL, TN, NO, TX, RI, CT, ME, MA,
& NH.  I have sat in as a guest speaker in classes on Sociology in
Hip-Hop at FSU. I have performed for and been a guest speaker
presiding over several classes on hip-hop for aspiring musicians &
at-risk teens.  I have also opened for Killah Priest of Wu-Tang,
Casual of Hieroglyphics, Prince Po of Organized Konfusion, and
Blueprint; sometimes solo & sometimes alongside my crew the 1100
Hunters.  I really enjoy performing at shows, and I also love
organizing quality hip-hop events & promoting unity through hip-hop.
Any time you can step back & really feel yourself in your element is a
special moment…”

"I'm not going to try to gas ya head up; I just try to make the type
of hip-hop I like to listen to. It's different; sometimes it's got a
message, sometimes I just like to flip tha wordplay. I work with an
assortment of producers that spend a lot of time at what they do. I
myself have been honing my craft over the last 23 years, and continue
to evolve as an MC. I think if you check it out and you even remotely
like hip-hop, you'll hear somethin' you like."

Ghost Dog currently has five full-length albums out:  “Hidden in the
Leaves” (’03), “Out of the Woodworks” (’06), “Relics of tha Lost Art”
(’09), “Ghost in the Darkness” (’11); and “Ghost in the Shell” (‘13).
He has a free bonus EP entitled “Ghost Recon” out currently and a
collaborative EP with Sharp Cuts (collectively known as Phantom Blade)
by the name of “The Barber’s Chair EP” that was released on February
29th, 2016; as well as a full-length in the works entitled “Beware the
Phantom Blade”.  His sixth full-length solo LP, “Dreams of a Wandering
Samurai”, releases February 23rd, 2017.  His group 1100 Hunters has an
album out by the name of “Long-Winded” that was released in 2011; &
they were nominated for the best hip-hop group in NC for the 2012
Carolina Music Awards.

Booking inquiries:  ghostdaronin@gmail.com
Twitter: @ghostdogmc
Facebook:  Ghost Dog MC




Purchase the latest album from Ghost Dog on iTunes DREAMS OF A WANDERING SAMURAI
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/dreams-of-a-wandering-samurai/id1181917942




No comments:

Post a Comment