LIVE TRAFFIC FEED

Share South East Hip Hop Magazine

Gunplay

The Empire

The Empire
((Click Banner To Visit The Site))

Art Of Life Unlimited

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Interview with Freedom Williams of C+C Music Factory




Southeast Hip Hop Magazine speaks with Freedom Williams of C+C Music Factory.  You remember, the group that put out the mega dance hits from the early 90s such as "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) and "Things That Make You Go Hhmmm", well the lead rap vocalist of the group is still staying strong in the game and he is turning 50 years old!  Freedom chops it up with us to talk about how he stays fit and healthy at his age, the lessons he's learned in the music business, what he's up to now, and more!  Read all about it here.  




Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  How are you doing Freedom?  
I see you will be turning 50 soon how are you feeling?
Freedom Williams: I feel absolutely great like I'm turning 30!



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  I know staying fit and healthy is one of the reasons you are feeling great at 50...You are into a lot of health and fitness, do you have any fitness advice for anyone reading this?
Freedom Williams:   Yes keep things balanced, mind, body and spirit has to be balanced for a healthy lifestyle. 



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  I found out that you also do a lot of fasting, what do you do to keep from going hungry during that time period, how do you keep your mind off of it?
Freedom Williams:   I have been fasting for 30 years. So I'm pretty good at shutting down my urges and quieting my mind.  Fasting is more mental then physical, you have to mentally prepare for a few weeks get your mind right before your body can follow



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  Lets get into the music, how did C & C Music Factory form?
Freedom Williams:   We were remixers before we formed C&C we worked on Grace Jones, Natalie Cole, pink Cadillac and others and had a track record.  I was a recording engineer and met C&C while I was engineering and they were producing we hit it off and formed a group.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What inspired you to want to get into a career in music when you were younger?
Freedom Williams:   I have been into music all my life in the 2nd grade I played trombone, then flute, then in the 70’s i got into hip hop in my pre-teens.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What was one of the worst experiences you've had in the music business and how did you bounce back or learn from it?
Freedom Williams:   Hmmmm there were not a lot but there are always some. When Sony didn't properly promote my solo album that was messed up, but my music doesn't define me.  It's a part of me not all of me, so you go on.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What advice would you give young artists coming up now?
Freedom Williams:   Be true to your self, and try to educate yourself, great musicianship requires some degree of education, so the more you have the better off you will be as a musician.  Bob Marley was educated, Chuck D is educated, David Bowie was educated, not necessarily college but in life. 



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What are some of the major differences you see in the music industry from then and now?
Freedom Williams:   Now its run by geeks from Silicon Valley years ago it was run by drug dealers, boot leggers and scally wags. 



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What's in your iPod or CD player right now?  Who do you listen to in your spare time?
Freedom Williams:   Alice Smith, Milton Cardona, Alex Cuba, J Cole, Zeppelin, it is way too varied to define, it changes every day.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  Getting off music for just a sec, how is everything going with your construction business?  
Freedom Williams:   Business is great its what I love and my crew and I are good at it.  



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What inspired you to get into construction?
Freedom Williams:   It's a lot like music in that you have to start with a black slate, write it on paper then go construct it.  Its also both very artistic, colors textures tones all the same 



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  Is there a particular reason why you employed indie artists to assist you with building houses?
Freedom Williams:   No not really its just that it happened that way I don't create in a vacuum, all that we need to inspire us is around us a lot of people in construction are pent up musicians, and I also teach them cause I like to have creative people around me, so if your willing i'll train you.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  You have a major event / party coming up soon... what do you plan to have at your 50th Birthday Bash Celebration?
Freedom Williams:   We will have a a cigar rolling room, astrology room where you get your readings, Talib Kweli is hosting and performing and a fashion event, then the week after I have another fashion event that week is Mercedes Benz Fashion week.



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  What other plans do you have for 2016?
Freedom Williams:   T.V. shows in the works, 25th anniversary of "Gonna Make You Sweat", and more music and construction. 



Southeast Hip Hop Magazine:  Is there anything else you would like to plug?  Any shout outs?  
Freedom Williams:   Shout out to all the family at FWE.  The FWE 9th Annual Aquarius Event at Stage 48 I Manhattan from 10 until 4 am.  Thank you!



__________________________________________________________________
Advertise your product, brand, music, merchandise, or services with Southeast Hip Hop Magazine!  E-mail us at SoutheastHipHopMag@yahoo.com for more information.  You too can reach this prime, fine demographic.




No comments:

Post a Comment